TEMPLE HILLS, Md. (WUSA) -- Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services officials say a 77-year-old man died on Saturday morning after being burned at his Temple Hills home on Friday afternoon.
According to fire officials, George Lee White suffered series burns over most of his body when his clothes caught on fire on contact with a "torpedo style" kerosene space heater at his home in the 5900 block of Rayburn Drive Friday at approximately 2:30 p.m. This cylindrical, powerful heater is usually portable and can heat large spaces. The heater is often used at construction sites and other outdoor areas.
Officials say White was working on an automobile at the time. A family member helped to extinguish the flames, and received some less serious burn injuries.
White was transported to the Burn Unit at Medstar Washington Hospital Center where he succumbed to his injuries early Saturday morning.