SPRINGFIELD, Va. (WUSA) -- Fire officials say a fire at a West Springfield home on Thursday morning was caused by an electrical power strip in the garage.
At approximately 9:50 a.m. on Thursday, firefighters responded to a single family home in the 8100 block of Carr Place. They saw smoke and heavy fire coming from the attached garage and fire coming through the roof. Heavy wind pushed fire into the attic and through the door from the garage into the kitchen area, say officials.
Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes.
Fire officials say working smoke alarms alerted the people inside about the fire and they were able to get out safely with their pet dog.
One firefighter was taken to INOVA Fairfax Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The damage from the fire is estimated at $275,000.