LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 5pm    Watch
 

Candle Causes West Centreville Townhouse Fire

1:14 PM, Dec 3, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

FAIRFAX COUNTY (WUSA) -- A family is displaced after their townhouse caught on fire Sunday afternoon.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Dept. responded to the fire at the 5600 Chapel Run Court and found smoke and fire coming from the front of the two-story home.

Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in the kitchen that was later determined to be caused by an unattended candle.

The occupants, two adults, one teenager and a dog were not home at the time of the fire. The Red Cross is helping the family.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Dept. provided the following candle safety tips:

• Do not place candles near combustible materials.
• Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
• Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
• Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame    candle.
• Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryway. The potential air draft can "fan" the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
• Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
• Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
• Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.

Most Watched Videos