LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 6am    Watch
 

Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, Accused USS Cole Bomber, Skips Guantanamo Hearing In Protest

8:34 AM, Oct 23, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (AP) - The Guantanamo prisoner charged in the bombing of the USS Cole is boycotting his pretrial hearing in the case to protest the way he is brought from his cell to court.

Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri has told an official at the U.S. base in Cuba that he objects to the use of belly chains. The judge has previously said the 47-year-old prisoner does not have to attend his pretrial hearings but the prosecution is challenging that ruling.

A Navy official who was not identified for security reasons said the belly chains are used to move prisoners within Guantanamo but would not have been used to move al-Nashiri to court Tuesday.

Most Watched Videos