Mexican Wedding Cakes
Adapted from Jane Butel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ( ½ pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, preferably Mexican
- 2 ½ cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Confectioner's sugar for dusting cookie
- Sift together the flour and salt, and set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Fold in the flour and pecans until well incorporated. Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in wax paper, and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Form the chilled dough into 1-inch-round balls and place onto the cookie sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Bake cookies until just golden on top, about 18 minutes.
- Cool cookies for about 5 minutes, then toss them in a bowl with the confectioners' sugar. Cool them completely on rack.