Family's life turned upside down by moldy home

11:36 AM, Sep 24, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (WUSA9) -- Spores of dangerous mold in a family apartment send a 9-month-old baby and her mother to the hospital, but it may still be impossible to get the landlord to clean up his act.

Father Karim Evans would do anything to keep his little girl safe, but he couldn't protect her from dangerous mold that made her and her mother sick.

One morning, the family rushed 9-month-old Sarai to the emergency room.  The diagnosis was mold exposure. Her rash was treated by her pediatrician. Her mother was prescribed an inhaler.

In a week's time the family moved. Most of their furniture was destroyed. Their mattresses, clothes, and shoes were covered in mold.

The complex they lived in is the gated community of The Reserve at Eisenhower, owned and operated by Equity Residential. We stopped by to get some answers and were given an off-site manager. We called and still nothing.

Emails obtained by WUSA9 show management finally sent a maintenance crew to the first floor apartment, admitted it was damp and offered a de-humidifier but failed to remediate the mold.

Equity Residential has agreed to dry clean most of the family members' clothes but the family just wants life to get back to normal. Above all, Karim Evaa ns worries about long-term effects for mom and their 9-year-old and the 9-month-old daughters.

Most Watched Videos