Washington, D.C. (WUSA9) -- Eleven Washington area restaurants have been ordered closed twice or more for health violations since 2012, and no area health departments have policies prohibiting establishments from continuing to operate after multiple suspensions.
See the list of two-time closures below and click here to see more than 300 DMV restaurants closed at least once in 2012 or 2013 (see bottom of story to cut and paste web address).
Although there is no "three-strike" policy, agencies are empowered to take administrative action against repeat violators.
To know about restaurant closures first, follow @russptacek on Twitter or Facebook.
"It is actually difficult to revoke a license and many times the business generally closes before it gets to that point," said Montgomery County Environmental Health Director Kenneth Welch. "If it goes in front of an appeal process, we not only have to show that we tried to work with the facility and the facility does not want to comply with us but they are also not complying with the court of law."
Since beginning tracking closures in April 2012, WUSA9 is not aware of any revocations, but other DMV health departments have similar policies allowing it.
"A case is built based on previous history and a recommendation would be sent to DCRA asking not to renew or to revoke the license in question," said DC Health spokeswoman Najma Roberts. "Revocation is always a last option."
Although restaurants are required to pay fees of $100 to $150 to get re-inspected prior to reopening, there's also no fine for being ordered closed due to conditions that could pose danger to public health.
Here's a list of eleven DMV restaurants closed twice or more since April of 2012 (see attached video for details).
- Tackle Box 3245 M St. NW Washington, DC
- Tippy's Tacos 11210 Lee Highway Fairfax, Va.
- Mama's Kitchen 1208 Maple View Place SE Washington, DC
- El Pollo Kiki Riki Ennals Ave. Silver Spring, Md.
- Star Halal, 1355-B Holton Lane, Takoma Park, Md
- Florida Avenue Grill 1100 Florida Ave. NW Washington, DC
- Mid City Deli 1418 14th St. NW Washington, DC
- Ren's Ramen Amherst Ave Wheaton, Md.
- New York Pizza on Florida Avenue, SE New York Pizza 2 Florida Ave. NE Washington, DC
- China Dragon Carryout 1439 11th St. NW Washington, DC
- Heritage India - Malgudi - Café Luna (same license), 1633 P Street, NW, Washington, DC
All the restaurant passed re-inspections and. except for Tippy's Tacos and Mid City Deli, continue to serve customers.
Click here to see more than 300 DMV restaurants closed at least once in 2012 or 2013: http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/273042/187/Photos--Hundreds-of-Washington-DC-area-restaurant-inspection-closures).