LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 6am    Watch
 

Man rescued from his bedroom after candle causes Burke, Va. fire

10:08 AM, Sep 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BURKE, Va. (WUSA9) -- A Fairfax County man was rescued from his second floor bedroom in an early morning fire near Burke on Wednesday. 

The fire happened at around 4:05 a.m., at 9709 Church Way in a single family home, officials said. 

"Enroute to the fire, firefighters received several reports of a trapped person on the second floor of the home. Firefighters conducted a primary search and found an adult male in a second floor bedroom and rescued him by ground ladder," officials said in a news release. 

Fire investigators say an unattended candle caused the fire. 

The fire was under control in about 40 minutes, from the time they arrived at the scene, officials said.

"Paramedics treated and then transported the adult male to INOVA Fairfax Hospital for non-life threatening injuries. The occupant has been displaced," officials said.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

Firefighters have some candle safety tips for you:

• Do not place candles near combustible materials.
• Place candles in glass or ceramic containers.
• Place candles on a flat, sturdy surface.
• Never leave children unattended in a room with an open flame candle.
• Do not place candles on window ledges or near entryway. The potential air draft can "fan" the flame, catching curtains or other materials on fire.
• Do keep burning candles within sight at all times. Candles can present fire hazards outdoors on decks and patios as well as inside your home.
• Always extinguish candles before leaving the home.
• Place all candles on a protected, heat resistant, dry surface away from anything that can catch fire and out of the reach of children and pets.

Most Watched Videos