FBI releases photos, video of Aaron Alexis in Navy Yard shooting

10:10 PM, Sep 25, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- More than a week after he killed 12 people inside building 197 at Washington Navy Yard, the FBI filled in many of the gaps about Aaron Alexis' last days, and gave more details about the deadly shooting spree. They FBI also released images and video from the shooting that showed Aaron Alexis inside the building on Sept. 16.

FBI Assistant Director in Charge Valerie Parlave spoke first at the press conference. Parlave tells reporters that Alexis arrived in D.C. on Aug. 25, and lived in hotels. She says he began work at Navy Yard on Sept 9. Alexis was a contractor for a private information technology firm and assigned to a project at the Navy Yard. According to the FBI, he stayed at hotels in Bethesda, Md., in the Pentagon City area of Arlington, Va. and the Residence Inn in Southwest Washington, D.C.

According to Parlave, on Sept. 14, in addition to buying a Remington 870 shotgun and ammunition at a gun shop, Alexis purchased a hacksaw at a home improvement store in Northern Virginia. 

Parlave says that Alexis gained entry to building 197 at 8:08 a.m. the day of the shooting with the use of a valid pass.

According to Parlave, images from Navy Yard show him walking in the hallway and stairwell carrying a shotgun. Parlave says the Remington had been sawed off, and handwritten etchings were present on shotgun. Etched into the barrel were the words "end to the torment" and "better off this way."  The etching of "My ELF weapon" is believed to reference delusions Alexis was having at the time. He thought he was being controlled by low-frequency waves, according to officials.

Parlave says Alexis gained access to a Beretta handgun during the hour-long shooting and used it. He was able to kill 12 people and wound four others.

The FBI says both weapons were recovered at the scene and were submitted to the FBI Laboratory for forensic analysis. Purple duct tape covered the end of the stock of the shotgun. A roll of purple duct tape was found in Alexis backpack hanging on the back of a stall door in the fourth floor of the men's bathroom, say officials. Electronic media was also found in the backpack.

Alexis' blue Toyota Prius rental car was found in Parking Garage #28. When his hotel room was searched additional electronic media was found, say police.

According to the FBI, "Analysis of the electronic media recovered from Alexis' belongings revealed several relevant communications." Parlave tells reporters that there are indications that Alexis was prepared to die during shooting, but no indication that he was targeting specific individuals. They believe that Alexis shot randomly at people. According to the FBI, Alexis did not talk to anyone to indicate an attack prior to the shooting.

The FBI says a document from the electronic media stated, "Ultra low frequency attack is what I've been subject to for the last 3 months, and to be perfectly honest that is what has driven me to this."

Parlave says that the investigation concludes Alexis acted alone.

NCIS Special Agent Michael Monroe also spoke at the press conference. He says that NCIS has been working with law enforcement on the shooting. He says special agents responded to the scene immediately. According to Monroe, NCIS agent entered within five minutes of the report that shots were fired. Monroe says two special agents were engaged in two areas of building. One agent pulled an injured Metropolitan Police Department officer to cover after he was shot, says Monroe.

DC's US Attorney Ronald C. Machen tells reporters that it appears that Alexis was mentally unstable. Search warrants were critical in understanding Alexis' motivations in the shooting, according to officials. To family and friends of the victims, Machen said, "The emotional scars will not be soon forgotten...We are all truly heartbroken for your loss."

Carl Vasilko, Special Agent in Charge for ATF in DC, said to the families, "ATF expresses our sincere condolences...it's most important that they know that law enforcement cooperation between all of these investigations was seamless and outstanding..."

A fire alarm was pulled in the building. The FBI is still trying to determine who pulled the fire alarm.

Authorities have determined that a law enforcement officer shot Alexis on the third floor of building 197.

The FBI released the following timeline of Alexis' activity during the morning of Sept. 16:

  • 7:53 a.m. - Alexis' rental car, a blue Toyota Prius with New York plates, entered Parking Garage #28 at the Washington Navy Yard, located directly across from Building #197.
  • 8:08 a.m. - Alexis exited Parking Garage #28 on foot carrying a backpack. Alexis entered Building #197 and proceeded to the elevator.
  • 8:09 a.m. - Alexis exited the elevator on the fourth floor and entered the men's bathroom carrying a backpack and a clipboard.
  • 8:15 a.m. - Alexis crossed the hallway into the 4 West area of Building #197 with shotgun, but without the backpack or a clipboard.
  • 8:16 a.m. - Alexis shot the first victim in the 4 West area of Building #197.
  • 8:17 a.m. - First 911 call is received from the fourth floor of Building #197.
  • 8:20 a.m. - Alexis left the fourth floor using the stairs and entered the third floor. 
  •  8:28 a.m. - Alexis appeared on the first floor.
  • 8:57 a.m. - Alexis returned to the third floor.
  • 9:25 a.m. - Law enforcement shoot and kill Alexis on the third floor.

Most Watched Videos