courtesy of Chef Lisa Maria Frantz
Makes 8-10 6-inch pancakes
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 4 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups eggnog
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Bean Paste (or two Vanilla Bean Pods scraped of their seeds, or 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch clove
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch Star Anise
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and diced small
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted, plus extra for griddle
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, eggnog, and vanilla bean paste.
- Into another bowl, toss the diced apple with remaining 2 tbls sugar, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and star anise.
- Combine sifted flour mixture with egg mixture and melted butter.
- Fold in Apple mixture, leaving lots of lumps and dry bits. Do not over mix!
- Use melted butter to lightly grease griddle. Using a 3oz ladle (about 1/2 cup), pour batter onto griddle, leaving space for them to expand slightly (about 2 inches between pancakes).
- When pancakes begin to bubble in center and look slightly dry around the edges (about 2 - 2 1/2 minutes), flip and continue to cook on other side an additional minute or until golden.
- Serve warm.