ROCKVILLE, Md., (WUSA) -- The kitchen may be the heart of the home, but the Consumer Product Safety Commission says the risk of cooking fire triples on Thanksgiving Day.
And, today at its Rockville labe, the CPSC demonstrated just how dangerous the threat can be when a stovetop, oven or turkey fryer is left unattended.
According to the agency, there have been more than 125 turkey fryer related fires, burns and explosions since 2003.
"We want consumers to listen to our advice and stand by our plan! If you are frying, grilling or broiling food, stay in the kitchen. Not following this advice can be a recipe for disaster on Thanksgiving," says CPSC Chair Inez Tenenbaum.
The consumer agency says practice safety and keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, avoid wearing loose fitting clothing, and covewr a pan with a lid to smother out flames.